Preparing for the CISSP Exam isn’t just about your knowledge. It’s about having the right test day strategy and ensuring you’re both physically and mentally ready. This is a six hour test. We call it a marathon and not a sprint. In order to be successful, learn what to do ahead of the exam, at the start, middle, and end!
Control Your Environment
- Visit the test center ahead of test day – plan the best route to get there and check out parking
- Dress in layers
- Bring water and a snack to leave in your locker
Understand the test experience
- Get comfortable with the Computer Based Test interface
- Practice the Scratch Pad Method
- Improve your odds – try to eliminate one or two answer choices quickly
- Take breaks every hour. The CISSP is not a speeded exam- you’ll have all the time you need (up to 6 hours) if you have the endurance for it.
- Note where you stopped when you take a break
- Question timing strategy – Don’t get hung up on a question – circle it to come back later.
Close out the Test
- When you think you’re done, review all of your marked questions.
And now, take a deep breath and think of everything you’ve learned, not just for the test but for the long term.